MON. - FRI., 8 AM- 5 PM EST
Read more 1
Purity Bakery Limited was established in downtown Nassau by Arthur Sands during 1920, as a “purveyor of fresh baked goods and pastries” for the then fledging city of Nassau. The small operation continued in its original location until the mid-1950’s, when a modern plant was built on Market & McPherson Streets, and specialized in Sandwich type White and Wheat Breads as well as Cakes and Pastries.
In June of 1967, the company, which had been owned and operated by members of the Saunders/Lowe/Sands family, was sold to Continental Baking Company of Rye, New York, U.S.A. and this is where the modern history of the company really begins.
At the time of take over in June 1967, it was evident to Continental executives that there was a definite need for modern production and marketing systems at Purity, and hence at the initial stages of this venture such necessities as “racked sales vehicles”; updated production equipment and experienced technical personnel were introduced to the Nassau market. These changes completely revolutionized the business as it was then, and this progression has continued up to the present day.
In 1976, Continental Baking Company sold Purity Bakery to a group of Bahamian Investors.
Roman Meal was added to the Purity line of products in 1971. In 1984, the company introduced its own label “Special Blend” to its 20oz White Bread, Hot Dog, and Hamburger Buns and products made exclusively for institutions.
Over twenty years ago the company added a Bacardi Rum Cake line of products featuring the Original Rum and Pina Colada. The latest addition is the exquisite Nassau Royale Chocolate Rum Cake that was created approximately twelve years ago.